Friday, March 10, 2023

Craving Them Teaser


"Will you relax?" Bryce asked, keeping his voice low. Kas opened his mouth, but Bryce gave him an almost pleading look that had me utterly fascinated. "Please?"

Kas closed his mouth and looked down at Bryce for a moment as if looking for something. Finally, he nodded and the tension in Bryce's shoulders dissipated. Without another word, he followed his friends downstairs and Kas glanced at me.

"What?"

"I just wish I had the ability to read minds," I sighed, flopping onto the bare mattress of my bed and staring at the ceiling for the last time. "If I knew what people were thinking, my life wouldn't be so difficult."

Kas sat on the edge of the bed and looked down at me, a smile tugging up the corners of his mouth. "I think you've got that backwards. But isn't guessing supposed to be the fun part when it comes to people?"

"You tell me, Kas," I said, closing my eyes. "I'm not good with people, not like you are. I don't know how… anything works."

I kept my eyes closed, unable to face him after bringing up his reminder from several minutes ago. Kas was five years older than me and was very well experienced in what I assumed was everything. I had heard his jokes and crude comments over the years which pointed to a lifetime's worth of… well, everything. How could someone as ignorant about the world as I was know what I wanted if I didn't even know what I could want?

Reading books and watching movies doesn't tell you how the real-world works. It's pipe dreams with pretty people and pretty endings. But I had seen the darkness that existed in this world, the real world. I didn't know if what I felt was real or just the hormones of a teenage girl in close proximity to hot guys. Maybe that's all it was, but I just wanted to be happy, whatever that meant.

"The best way to learn is through experience," Kas answered quietly. "You're young and have plenty of time to figure it all out. You don't need to be good with people, just the right ones. As beautiful and intelligent as you are, the world is at your mercy, Rainbow."

Tears stung my eyes as I finally looked up at him, silent tears slipping from my eyes. "I'm going to miss you, Kas. I'm not sure I'm ready for that goodbye."

Kas held out his hand to me and I took it, letting him pull me into a sitting position. Brown eyes searched mine, our faces inches apart as he tucked the strand behind my ear again.

"What if you didn't have to?" he asked, his breath fanning across my skin again. "What if you could see me any time you wanted or needed to?"

"What do you mean?" I whispered in confusion as more tears welled in my eyes. "I can't ask you to drop everything whenever I miss you, Kas. I wouldn't."

"But what if you didn't have to?" he pressed, doubt filling his eyes as I began to shake my head. I still didn't understand what he was asking of me. "Would you be okay with that?"

"How?"

"Because he lives across the hall from us," Bryce said before Kas could answer. Both of us turned to look at him in surprise. "He would be within reach whenever you wanted him there."

"Bryce…" Kas sighed dejectedly, rubbing his forehead.

"It's fine," Bryce cut in while I struggled to process what he had just said. "I just came up here to tell you that the boys are going to finish loading her stuff up. Andi, stay here with Kas and I'll be back in a little bit. We can leave after that if you want."

"Where are you going?" Kas frowned.

"My brother needs me for something," Bryce answered vaguely. Kas clenched his jaw but remained silent. "Don't worry, it won't take long."

As he walked away, I slowly stood from the bed, packing away the last of my books as I tried to wrap my head around it.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked, keeping my back to him.

"Because I want to," he answered without hesitation.

"But why?" I repeated more forcefully. "Because Rory told you to? Because you don't trust Bryce? For some other reason? Why? Don't lie to me, Kas, because I've had plenty of those lately."

I heard the creak of the mattress as he stood and felt the subtle vibration with each step he took towards me. My heart was racing, and I could feel tears trying to find their way out again. When the heat of his body was so close that I could feel it through my clothes, I went still.

"Because I want to, Andi," Kas repeated again. "I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to be. That's a promise."

I believed him even though I couldn't shake the feeling it wasn't the whole truth. But I accepted it, my desperately naive brain absorbing the promise like it would justify the darkest parts of me that wanted this to be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...