Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Wow, I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I would actually give this one 3.5 stars but it is a fun read so I will round it up to 4.

We meet Ruby who is in an internment camp and we have to wait to get her full story told as she looks back periodically into her past. She lives in a time where children either die from a mysterious disease or are mutated like with X-Men. Adults and the government are scared of the potential threat from the mutants and round them up and lock them away in horrible concentration camps with the lie of rehabilitation.

There is alot going on in this book. Ruby is broken out by an underground organization that claims to be trying to help the kids who she finds has alterior motives. She goes on the run and finds Lee and his group. There is action and adventure with a bit of the paranormal thrown in for spice. However, its all a bit predictable except for the ending (which I did not like). Without giving spoilers I'll just say that I think it could have plausibly ended differently.

Overall, I think its a good YA read. And I enjoyed the characters both the good and the bad. It is a bit on the dark side with the concentration camps and the abuse of the kids simply because they are different from no fault of their own. But if this genre intrests you at all I would say give this on a try.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the honest review. Darkest Minds is on my TBR/wishlist but I have been hesitating because of all the mixed reviews I've been seeing/hearing. The impression I get from your review is that it is still an entertaining read although may not be mind blowing. I still want to check it out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...