Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Allegiant

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Allegiant by Veronica Roth

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book. It was not nearly as good as I expected it to be, but then again I had high expectations after the first two books. I loved Divergent and Insurgent and expected this one to follow suit.


There was so much that I didn't like about the GD book (the use of those initials really got on my nerves. Did Roth not realize what else those could stand for?) I wish I had re-read Insurgent before I read Allegiant. There was a lot I didn't remember and there really wasn't a recap of what happened in the last book. The story was told from alternating points of view between Tris and Four and really they were about the only important ones in the book. The story unfolding around them was felt as secondary. The secondary characters were kept in the background and I didn't really care what happened to them one way or another. Tris and Four were also much different than the previous books. Four was no longer the strong silent type and Tris really became the stronger character.

The story that unfolded was really a bit unrealistic for me. I don't see how mass genetic engineering would have been accepted in the first place nor how these city experiments would have helped either. The timeline also was a bit off for me. How they managed to go running around all night with all these secret meetings and no one noticing and getting back in time as well was beyond me.

I will also say that I did not like the ending. It could have, and should have ended differently.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed. It did wrap up some loose ends and give explanations that were needed. But it did a poor job of character development and world building and the ending left a lot to be desired.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...