Wednesday, November 30, 2011

50 Banned Books

Here is another list that I have ran across. Its a list of 50 books that have been banned for various reasons. Which ones have you read? Should they be banned? I've read 22 out of the 50 so I have a few to go. I think that we should all be able to make the choice for ourselves whether or not we should read these or any books but that's only my opinion for what its worth.

The first 12 were banned by some schools, because they are considered inappropriate for children...

1.The Catcher in the Rye-J.D. Salinger
2.The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn-Mark Twain
3.Forever-Judy Blume
4.The Golden Compass-Philip Pullman
5.Lord of the Flies-William Golding
6. Harry Potter series-J.K. Rowling
7. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.
8. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.
9. And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson.
10.A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle.
11.The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier.
12.The Giver by Lois Lowery.

Numbers 13 through 22 were banned by religion and politics...

13.The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
14.A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
15.The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
16.Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe.
17.The Lorax by Dr. Seuss.
18.The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
19.1984 by George Orwell.
20.Animal Farm by George Orwell
21.Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift.
22.Candide by Voltaire.

Numbers 23 through 35 were banned, because of sexual content, and the use of profanity...

23.Lady Chatterley’s Lover by DH Lawrence
24.Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
25.Fanny Hill by John Cleland
26.Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman.
27.The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
28.Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
29.The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
30.Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.
31.The Awakening by Kate Chopin.
32.Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
33.Rabbit, Run by John Updike
34.Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.
35.Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov

Numbers 36 through 41 were banned due to race and gender issues...

36.To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
37.Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.
38.The Color Purple by Alice Walker.
39.I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.
40.Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
41.Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

The last ones were banned for multiple reasons...

42.Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
43.Native Son by Richard Wright.
44.Beloved by Toni Morrison.
45.As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.
46.One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kessey
47.The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood.
48.In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
49.Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.
50.East of Eden by John Steinbeck

3 comments:

  1. Someone once decribed me as a contrarian, but the idea of banning books is anathema to me. Have managed thirty on the list and i WILL now read all the rest. The only book that caused a literary sensation in the UK was Lady Chatterly (read - dull and passee now) and attempts to ban it were thwarted in a court case, memorable for the prosecution quoote, "Would you allow your maid to read this book?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to finish this list too. You are alot farther along than I am. I had another list I was working on, books that you should read before you die, that I need to get back to. But I should hope I've got plenty of time to finish that one.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. On days that I work alone I am able to read much more than when certain ones work with me (I didn't say that either shhh!) Its nice to know too that I'm not the only one that does this :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...