Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County

The Little Giant of Aberdeen CountyThe Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This one was a difficult one for me to rate. I would probably actually give this one 3.5 stars but I rounded up because I was so drawn in by the end that I couldn't hardly put it down.



This was a book with an unlikely heroine, one of a giant of a woman and the difficulties that she endured. This wasn't a story with beautiful heroine or lots of action or adventure. Instead it was a story about life told from the point of view of someone who is beautiful on the inside. Truly was truly larger than life and with that came hardships that many of us take for granted like clothes that fit and furniture that we can sit in comfortably. There was also the torment from bullies at school and not only from other children but school teachers that didn't know what to make of her. And to make matters worse, as big as she was, she was always in the shadow of her beautiful perfect looking older sister. Her mother died giving birth, so she was left in the care of her father that didn't know how to care for either of his daughters but did the best he could til his death. When he died her sister went to a family in town that was able to provide for her while Truly went with a poorer family of outcasts. Despite all her hardships Truly endured it all and learned from it all to be a better person.

And this story is more than just the story of Truly. Its the story of life in a small town where everybody knows everybody elses business. Where judgements are made on whats normal. Where things are supposed to be normal and unspoken rules followed. Its about life, and love, and what is on the inside of a person rarely matches what is on the outside. When tough decisions had to be made, you wonder what you would do when faced with such a problem? Would you run away as Truly's sister did? Pretend the problem didn't exist like Robert Morgan? Do what you had to do to survive even if it hurt someone else? Be yourself even if no one else approved? Lots of issues were faced in this story and I thought alot about how I would feel about such things.

When the story began I didn't know if I would like it. But it slowly began to draw me into its clutches and by the time it was over I couldn't hardly put it down and when it was over I was sorry to see it go. If you just love a good story, one that doesn't fit the mold of everyday normal I would suggest that you pick this one up.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I love it when a book turns out completely different to what you initially thought it would be like. Thanks for joining in on our Weekly Book Blog Hop this week, hope to see you next week xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...