Thursday, July 26, 2012

White Horse

White HorseWhite Horse by Alex Adams

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I received this courtesy of FirstReads.

This was one of those books that I really had trouble putting down once I started it. I love dystopias and apocolyptic type books and this fit those categories perfectly.

Zoe is a janitor in a pharmaceutical company when one day all the mice at work dies and she comes home to find a mysterious jar in her apartment. Things tend to go downhill for Zoe after that. People start dying from a mysterious disease. Its later learned that if you didn't die from this disease that it changes you. Some people mutated into horrible monsters others the changes were more subtle. Humanity tends to be survivalists, and in the midst of this turmoil she finds love only to have it taken away. Nick leaves her to go find his family and she soon pursues him.

Told in a woven together from scenes of the past and scenes of the present. We see enough of a scene to tease us into want to know more but at the same time wanting to go back to the other time frame to find out whats happening. I love the cast of characters. Zoe is a strong resiliant woman who fights to hold on to what it means to be human in the face of everything. Nick is the perfect man, strong and supportive at all the right times. And we ache for Zoe when he is gone. The evil people are very evil and we want to scream "Die already!" The lesser characters are also imporant: Lisa the blind girl at the mercy of her father, Irina the Medusa woman. And when the mystery is solved about how this all happened and who some people actually are you definitely don't see some of it coming, at at the same time some of it is obvious. My only issues was that in a few places it was over descriptive and I ended up skimming those paragraphs. But it wasn't enough for me to dislike the overall story.

Overall I really liked this book. I would recommend it to anyone who loves apocolyptic/dystopian literature. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in this series as this is the first of a trilogy.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Hey Flora!

    It's been awhile! But I love how I can just come on your blog and always find something interesting or a review on a book that I have in my TBR pile like this one!

    White Horse is sitting on my shelf now collecting dust. I was fascinated by the synopsis (I love apocalyptic/dystopian stories too) and the title/cover of the book. Let me just ask this question...does a "white horse" have anything to do with the story?? I'm always curious when I see a title and/or a cover and wonder how it connects to the story.

    Anyway, I'll be stopping back soon to check out some of your other reviews. As always, it's a pleasure!

    Best,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Come by often!Glad that you like my blog.

      I think I can answer your question without it being a spoiler. White horse actually has something to do with the story. Its a reference to the disease becuase in Revelations its the first horseman in the apolcalypse. They name the disease White Horse.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...