Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Death Cure

The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)The Death Cure by James Dashner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I might stretch this up to 3.5 stars. I had some issues with it but overall I liked it. This is the third and final book in the Maze Runner trilogy. And being such, I expected more answers to questions I had in the first two books (maybe those will be in the prequel I have yet to read).

This books picks up immediately where The Scorch Trials left off. We find Thomas alone in a padded room being fed through a slot in the door. We are told the entire story from Thomas' point of view and because of this we can't possibly get more of the story. Thomas, athough very intelligent, is still a teenager and has a lot of growing up to do. Its getting harder and harder for him to stay strong through all he has endured. I had hoped that at this point he would have been a stronger character but he seems to have grown more fearful. He fears getting his memories back. I was really disappointed at this. Its important to know who you are and where you come from. Not to mention all the information he could have had but was too afraid of who he had been. Turning a blind eye is not a way to learn from your mistakes.

The other male characters seemed to be a lot stronger. Jorge, Minho, and Newt especially, seemed to have grown and be strong and forceful. Newt had the hardest decisions to face and did so as a strong individual. Teresa was essentially non-existent and was basically replaced by Brenda. That disappointed me as I new Teresa had a lot of information she could have provided and Brenda had started out as a minor character and suddenly she's essential.

Overall, there is a lot of action. The group is running from place to place and facing similar obstacles. I never understood the premis of this series. It didn't make any sense to me that a virus could be cured by learning brain patterns. Why waste lives of people that are immune in such a way when you could have been studing them biologically like with blood and tissue tests?

If you enjoyed the first two of this trilogy you should finish and read this one. I've enjoyed the series overall and would recommend them for anyone who likes YA dystopia.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the first book of the trilogy but my cousin love this series to dead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.. looks ok.. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...